If you have been convicted of a crime, disorderly persons offense, petty disorderly persons offense, or adjudicated delinquent as a juvenile, you may be eligible for an expungement. Even if you were only arrested and later found not guilty or had the charges dismissed, an expungement may benefit you, especially if you are worried that a prior criminal or juvenile event may affect your employment.

An expungement is the removal and isolation of all records on file within any court, detention or correctional facility, law enforcement, criminal justice agency or juvenile justice agency concerning a person’s apprehension, arrest, detention, trial or disposition of an offense within the criminal or juvenile justice system. Unless otherwise provided by law, if an order for expungement is granted, the adult arrest, the record of law enforcement taking you into custody as a juvenile, conviction, adjudication of delinquency, disposition and any related proceedings are considered to not have occurred.

Convictions for certain offenses are not eligible for expungement. The amount of time you must wait after your conviction date before petitioning a court for expungement varies based on the offense for which you were convicted. The process of filing for an order of expungement can be complex and requires meticulous attention to detail to ensure that your record is in fact cleared.

If you or a loved one is in need of legal assistance, call The Shamy Law Firm at 732-202-7206 or submit an online questionnaire. The initial consultation is free of charge. If we agree to handle your case, we will aggressively defend your rights and help you every step of the way in securing the best possible outcome. Sometimes the proper legal action very early in the process can stop prosecution in its tracks saving your time, money, and other hardships. Criminal cases can require rigorous investigation on behalf of the defendant, and involve strict deadlines. Please, contact us right away to ensure that you do not give up any of your precious legal rights.

Speak with Our Professionals Now

Call 732 800-1090